Energy Star is a joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy helping us all save money and protect the environment through energy efficient products and practices.
Results are already adding up. Americans, with the help of ENERGY STAR, saved enough energy in 2010 alone to avoid greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to those from 33 million cars — all while saving nearly $18 billion on their utility bills.
Energy Star is recognized as the standard for LED products, which is why Truly Green Solutions is proud to announce our expanding partnership with Energy Star. We now offer 16 Energy Star certified products to our customers nationwide. This certification is the cornerstone of most utility rebate programs and products are given this designation only after an extensive qualification and testing process. Many LED companies claim Energy Star certification through a loose affiliation with certain overseas manufacturers. To be certain your product meets these standards, always refer to http://www.energystar.gov to ensure it is an Energy Star approved product.
All LED products bearing the Energy Star marking must adhere to the following requirements:
• Min. efficiency 40-45lm / W for PAR and MR type
• Min. efficiency 50-55lm / W for A type
• Color temperature with strict tolerance
• Color maintenance (stability) measured over 6000 hrs
• CRI of Min. 80 (77 on average)
• Power factor = 0.7 if power >5W
• UL + FCC certification
• = 70% lumen maintenance (L70) at 25,000hrs (min. initial test 6,000 hrs)
• PAR & MR type must have at least 80% light output within an angle of 120°
• A type must have an even luminous intensity distribution within 0° to 135° zone and at least 5% of total flux in the 135° to 180° zone
• Rapid cycle stress (2 minutes on, 2 minutes off once for every two hours of required minimum L70 life)
• Manufacturer must participate in the Department of Energy’s Quality Advocates program and use the Lighting Facts label
• All testing report submitted for application must be issued by a DOE CALIPER recognized or NVLAP LM-79-08 accredited laboratory
• 3 years min. warranty
• Equivalence for non-directional is based on lumen output ENERGY STAR equivalence table
• Equivalence for directional light source is based on a calculation tool using beam angle and light intensity in candela
At UL, safety is our mission, and product safety testing and certification is one way we deliver that mission every day. The thoroughness, precision and technical expertise that UL brings to our product safety business are just a few of the reasons UL is a trusted, valued partner in solving global compliance challenges and help to bring safer products to market.
UL wrote the standard on Solid State and LED Lighting, UL8750, and actively participates in global standards development activities. Plus, our industry-leading team of primary designated engineers drives consistency, integrity and engineering quality in establishing and applying our certification requirements.
Using our knowledge garnered from more than 100 years in certifying products, our product safety evaluations involve a comprehensive review of important safety issues such as electrical shock, fire hazards, and even performance when it’s inherent to a product operating safely.
But UL’s involvement with product safety doesn’t end when a product leaves our laboratories. We continue to assess product safety at manufacturing facilities around the world throughout the life of a product. This, along with our investment in anti-counterfeiting efforts, helps protect the integrity of the product safety work we do and the UL you can rely on.